Unit Siting Tool - Battery Storage

KMcAuliffe
Rob and Steve,

Could the unit siting tool be adjusted to be used for siting battery storage?

Regards,
Kevin

Re: Unit Siting Tool - Battery Storage

Rob Burchett
Administrator
Kevin,
  Good news and bad news here.

The bad news:  A proper analysis would require dynamically  determining the hours to charge and discharge, which is really a multi-hour unit commitment problem, and is thus currently beyond the scope of the PAT.

The good news: If you're willing to live with two very large assumptions:
 1. that you can pre-specify which hours to charge, and which hours to discharge (off and on peak, say),
2. During the charge and discharge cycles, the hourly profile must be pre-specified.  For example, if the charging period is 8 hours, then the user must pre-specify the charging MW for each of the 8 hours (uniform, decaying, etc.) that add to the battery capacity.

If these two assumptions do not render the solution meaningless, then the PAT could simply apply that schedule to a large number of hours and see which buses have the largest (most positive) revenue from the LMP for each hour.

If you chose existing renewable sites (wind or solar) to be among the candidate sites, then this could possibly be a "hybrid" siting tool.

This would be a really cool calculation if you're willing to live with the above assumptions.  I hope others out there will comment on this suggestion, and weigh in on the downside of the assumptions.

Rob & Steve
Rob

Re: Unit Siting Tool - Battery Storage

KMcAuliffe
Rob,

I think I am good with the assumptions. However, would you have time to briefly discuss over the phone just so I'm not missing something?

Regards,
Kevin

Sure - call Steve.  You should also note that it won't be anytime very soon.  We have to get confirmation from others that such a tool would be useful.
Rob

Re: Unit Siting Tool - Battery Storage

KMcAuliffe
What type of flexibility would the user have in setting the battery storage options. Could we set the Charging and discharging hours just for a typical week, could they be set in a 12 x24 pattern? Would we be able to set a required arbitrage between LMPs at Charge and Discharge.