PAT Average Congestion Tab

KMcAuliffe
Rob,

In Average Congestion Tab in PAT's H-C Tool could you add the ability to see the constraints most binding during pricing levels at a node? For example, right now you can see All Hours, On Peak Hours, and Off Peak Hours, but sometimes I want to know the constraints which have the most impact when the price at a node was less than say -$15/MWh. The thought is there may be one key constraint causing the price to decline to that level or a number of system wide constraints causing it.

Re: PAT Average Congestion Tab

Steve_Burchett
Administrator
Hi Kevin,

Great suggestion.  We just coded it up and put the dev on our FTP for you.  Let me know if it works the way you want it.  Here's a video showing how it works.

Here is a link to Youtube where you can watch in full screen.

best,
Steve

Re: PAT Average Congestion Tab

dacharya
Steve,
How about an option to show only the hours when generator(s) at the source bus are generating? maybe even have user driven input when total gen at that bus is at greater than a % of total gen or X gen MW. Basically this is the dispatch-weighted option of looking at the constraints. Having LMP range, as is in latest version would further help to narrow the hours of interest. The option is greyed out if source bus doesn't have any generator.

Hi Dhruv,
Great suggestion.  You are actually the 5th person to suggest it.  We're planning to code up a gen weighted congestion option.  Basically the user can select a renewable unit and the HC results will be weighted by that unit's MW output.  The only challenge is that it will be the renewable unit's scheduled output, which won't include curtailment.  Would this work for your needs?

Re: PAT Average Congestion Tab

dacharya
Steve that would work. However if there are multiple units at same bus, then only looking at hours when gen is greater than X MW or % of total gen at that node across year may be helpful as well.  The LMP range method may provide some overlap but i think it would be a good option to have.